Yep, I'm a first time flier across anything other than land.
8ish hour flight from Chicago to Frankfurt wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
If you ever get a chance to fly Lufthansa, I would highly recommend it. The goal was to sleep the whole flight so we could adjust to the new time zone (goal being the key word). I tried very hard but my body decided otherwise. Sitting two rows back from business class with their full recliners didn't help.
Now I know I can finish crocheting a whole slouchy hat in a day.
Now I know I can finish crocheting a whole slouchy hat in a day.
Just before 8:00 am the city of Frankfurt welcomed us. Slight panic set in as it took me a couple tries to turn the sink on. Ladies moving on with their lives as I stood in front of this little sink. Normally I would make a joke, ask for help, and move on but here things were different. Here I was in a Germany. A new city, a new country, a new continent, and a new language. For the first time in my life, I couldn't communicate.
Thank you old German man-that smelled of BO and alcohol-for sharing my first train ride. The train ride into the city was surreal. Tanner and I just kept looking at each other with a "what are we doing?!" face. Walking into historic Römerberg square really started this trip out perfectly. Since we couldn't check into our hotel until later that afternoon, we started our site-seeing complete with backpacks.
Of course, the first picture of me I'm too busy lookin around...
The building in the background is City Hall.
Look how cute these buildings are!
Love these streets.
This seemed to be a trend in Europe...
We visited a few of cathedrals in the old part of town including the Dom St. Bartholomäus and Alte Nikolaikirche.
Eventually the afternoon rolled in and we were finally able to check into our little bed and breakfast. Single beds pushed together, soap that could be used for "hands, body, & hair," and a lovely view of the train tracks... yep, at least it included a free breakfast.
Never has a 20 minute 1 hour nap felt so good. Back to the city we went, this time without our 2 backpacks (I swear those things got progressively bigger and heavier as our trip went on). From what we saw of Frankfurt, it mainly consisted of skyscrapers and name brand stores (with a few old buildings here and there). In the streets inbetween all the shops were various food and drink stands. Obviously dinner consisted of a weisswurst and rote wurst (white & red brat's). Guys, they really are as good as people say. The unfortunate part of dinner was my first fizzy water. It just doesn't quench the thirst that tap water can.





I love this!
ReplyDeleteThanks Julie! :) Figured you'd like the posts about Germany!
ReplyDelete