Pages

Friday, December 8, 2017

ten percent happier

Friday, December 8, 2017
Many conversations have been had between my husband and I on how to make our lives better. We really want to focus on only the most important things. When Tanner first brought up the conversation of minimalism I listened and supported him. The more he talked about it the more I found myself really agreeing with the ideals and was curious to know more. I listened to the podcasts which gave me the right motivation to simplify my life in all aspects (things, finances, shopping, relationships, etc).

Minimalism is about taking the time to get rid of the excess stuff in your life so you can live more meaningfully and focus on what's important.

Reactions from others have been rather interesting. When someone hears "minimalism" it is often associated with practically nothing. A family member made a comment when talking about us becoming minimalists, "I could never be a minimalist, I just want to have the things I need." It made made me smile because that is EXACTLY what it's about. Minimalism is the practice of being deliberate and keeping only the essentials that add value so that you can focus on the most important parts of your life. As The Minimalists say, "Love people, use things. The opposite never works." What I really like about this is there is no 'one size fits all' in how to achieve it. I sincerely believe everyone could benefit in some way or another by simplifying something (if not everything).

It's been over a year now since I started and man can I tell you I already feel more free than I ever have. I've been able to focus more on my bond with my husband and son. I find my days filled with more meaningful activities. My goals and future plans seem just that much brighter. In fact I feel ten percent happier (this is in reference to mindful meditation but I think it also applies in this situation as well). These boys are a big reason I'm trying to be the best me I can be.

Especially as we approach the holiday season, its a good reminder for me that less really can be more.


If you are curious about Minimalism you can watch their documentary on Netflix. Then when you too want to find ways to simplify listen to their many podcasts.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recommendations Kristyn! I watched the movie the other day and am now starting the podcasts! This has helped me redefine what my "American Dream" is. Thank you for opening my eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listened to all of them (and quite honestly I feel like I've been doing it long enough now that I don't much listen to them anymore. I can now simplify my life without their help). But many of them are fantastic and really helped me figure this whole minimalism thing out. Hope you find a deeper happiness like I have!

      Delete

Coup de Foudre © 2014