Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2016

nothing better than homemade applesauce

Thursday, August 4, 2016
Dad has been saying for awhile now, "the apples are ready." 

I had decided at the start of summer I needed to have my mom teach me how to can. New the basics when she had us help growing up but needed her expertise. Have you ever had her cinnamon applesauce? It is so unbelievably good. Here's the kicker, she actually hates applesauce (due to some childhood experience) and never tries it. Yet this stuff could win state fairs. 



So many apples had already fallen so it was time to get on it. Unfortunately I timed it the week my mom was gone and was left to do it all on my own. Felt all confident that it would be easy and I'd be able to stock up my food storage with delicious applesauce. I couldn't have been more wrong. After a long day of picking, coring, cooking, cranking, pouring, sealing, and waiting impatiently...I can proudly say we have 3 whole jars of applesauce. Really though, this had better be the best dang applesauce.




Little deflating to only have canned 3 jars. I'm inspired to try some other fruits/veggies to add to my "stockpile." Thinking about cherries and raspberries next. Maybe green beans?



I told Tanner, we will get to enjoy the fruits of my labor only on a special occasion like a birthday or Christmas. Thanks to mom for answering my many texts and phone calls even though she was on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Coup de Foudre © 2014